Kyobashi: Denmark the Royal Cafe Terrace (デンマーク・ザ・ロイヤルカフェテラス)

Summary: Hit or miss cafe with cheery, colourful interior.

I was walking home from Ginza this morning, when I decided to drop by Denmark The Royal Café Terrace, a café I used to frequent not too long ago when I was still working at my previous company.

Denmark The Royal Café Terrace is located at the basement floor of Tokyo Square Garden, a relatively new (opened in 2013) high rise commercial building complex in Kyobashi. 
For those living outside of Tokyo, Kyobashi is a business district area between Ginza and Nihonbashi. 

Tokyo Square Garden’s modern chic design, as well as its airy greenery space is a stark comparison to other older, tired-looking buildings which are common in the Kyobashi area.  

Although the cafe is located on the basement floor, there is a large open courtyard in front, allowing for sunlight to reach its terrace area, giving it a bright and airy atmosphere.  

from the outside
Unfortunately, I was not allowed to enter through the terrace area today - though if memory serves me correctly, on certain days the terrace side door is available for use. 

I went in through this door inside - from inside of the building
Inside, the interior decorations are vibrant, colourful and happy, and the cafe looks to be very cosy. Typically, during the weekdays, it is filled with office workers from nearby office buildings, but on weekends it is a great spot to kick back and relax with your favourite book. 

now all I need is a cafe latte and a good book
There were some danish pastries on the counter top, and the glass display was filled with delicious looking treats and healthy sandwiches.

cream puffs and danish open sandwiches (smørrebrød
A little to the left from the entrance, there was a small table lined with different types of Rasmus Klump character goods.

Rasmus Klump - a famous Danish character
(which I unfortunately do not know about...)
I didn’t have much time to chill out at the café, but I decided to order their café latte because I was feeling a little sentimental, and also because I wanted to take a photo of their amazing latte art.

I have a habit of requesting cute bunnies and strange little creatures *cough*pikachu*cough* whenever I went there, and they have always happily obliged with my ridiculous demands. 

not today but cute bunny(?) and teddy bear latte arts..!
three bears, pikachu and jibanyan ♥
Unfortunately, it seemed like the usual barista wasn't around, so I had to settle with a normal cafe latte today.  

I guess it is quite a nice looking heart shaped latte art...
I have to be honest with you - I was completely disappointed that they weren't able to do the latte arts for me this time... But I guess it can't be helped. I suppose I have been too spoiled by them previously. I decided that whatever the appearance, latte is latte and it deserves to be drunk without any judgement.

However, when I took a sip of my cafe latte, I got a rude shock and almost burnt my tongue. 

The latte was a tad bit too hot - just a few degrees away from a tongue numbing experience. It was also a little bitter and there was slight sour aftertaste.  
The cafe latte wasn't exactly terrible - it just wasn't up to their usual standard. 

Overall, I was a little bit unsatisfied with today's experience, but only because I know they can do much better.

Despite today's mishap, I would still recommend Denmark The Royal Café Terrace to those who are looking for a cosy cafe to spend a slow afternoon around the area. 


Around this period (November - December), the courtyard is decorated with Christmas illumination lights, making it a pretty sight in the evening when the area lights up. 

Tokyo Square Garden at night
going down the stairs...
cafe front in the evening
For those looking for pretty Instagrammable latte arts, I would suggest coming here on weekdays, or to head over to GG Co Cafe & Bakery (within Courtyard Tokyo Station) which is just a few minutes walk from here.


Address3-1 Kyobashi, Tokyo Square Garden, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0031
〒104-0031 東京都 中央区 京橋 3-1 東京スクエアガーデン B1F
Denmark The Royal Cafe Terrace is located on B1F of Tokyo Square Garden, which is directly connected to exit 3 of Kyobashi station (Tokyo Metro Ginza line).
Phone: 03-6214-1185
Hours: Mon - Fri 7am - 10pm, Sat 10am - 10pm, Sun & PH 10am - 8pm

Comments

Popular Posts