Sendagaya: JŪBANTEI (十番亭)

Summary: Great hidden lunch spot for business people around Sendagaya.

Today, my Vice President suddenly asked me if I had any lunch plans.

99% of the time I bring a packed lunch to the office, so I stupidly said I had prepared some tuna salad for my lunch today. He said okay, and went back to his office space.

After five long and hard minutes of thinking about it, I realised that I was passing up on an once in a blue moon opportunity - how many young people in Japan get the chance to have an intimate one on one meal with their Vice President..??
Even though my company wasn't that huge (only about 150 people), it's not every day you get personally invited by one of the pillars of the organisation.

So anyway, I hastily went to his office room, creaked open the door and awkwardly peered in.

He looked up from his phone, and gave me a smile.

"What's up?"

I shuffled my feet, and embarrassingly asked him if he had already decided on his lunch plans.

He shook his head no.

"Erm, if so, then.. can I join you?"

"Sure."

I immediately let out a sigh of relief.

We decided to head out to a nearby restaurant on his recommendation.

Less than 5 minutes later, we arrive at JŪBANTEI, a yoshoku style casual restaurant.


Youshoku is western inspired cuisine which was created by chefs who trained abroad (mainly in France) in the 1910's.

Since most of the original French ingredients were not available in Japan at that time, the chefs improvised with ingredients in Japan and created dishes inspired by French and other western cuisines.

Many of these dishes are now part of mainstream Japanese food culture, such as curry rice, tonkatsu, omurice, etc.

From the outside,  JŪBANTEI looks like one of those old but charming french cottages


old school chalkboard stands
The inside is cozy, and crowded with office people in the area.


kitchen 
They offer five different choices on their lunch menu. 

A. Sauteed Chicken 980yen
B. Hamburger Steak 980yen
C. Sauteed Pork 980yen
D. Special Pork Curry Rice 980yen
E. Hamburger Steak Curry Rice 1080yen

Their prices are quite reasonable - most of the menu was under 1000yen, except for their hamburger steak curry rice, 


I decided to get their sauteed chicken, while my VP got the hamburger steak set. 

There was only one gentleman doing all the cooking, and a lady serving - much respect to them! 



Finally, after about 15 minutes of waiting, our food arrived.

so simple but refreshing flavour
cabbage soup
sauteed chicken
fluffy white rice
Just FYI, but you can ask for free refills for their rice, soup and salad.

translation: wine and home style food
Overall, I had a very pleasant lunch today. My VP treated me to lunch, and also gave me all sorts of advice. What a blessed day it is today!

While I would not recommend JŪBANTEI to my tourist friends, their warm, at-home cooking style makes it definitely worth a visit for those who work/live around Sendagaya.

Address: 4 −21−5 Sendagaya, Shibuya, Tokyo 151-0051
東京都 渋谷区 千駄ヶ谷 4-21-5 エイトビル 1F
Phone: 03-3478-5580
Hours: Not sure if opened for dinner, but lunch is from 11:30am - 2pm
Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays

Comments

Popular Posts