Jingumae: Micasadeco&Cafe (ミカサデコ)

Summary: Jiggy, wobbly, fluffy stacks of pancakes served by lovely, friendly staff!


Popular café hailing from Osaka, Micasadeco&Café is famous for their pancakes, as well as healthy, organic food menu.


There is no shortage of pancakes cafes around Tokyo (especially in Omotesando/Shibuya), but I definitely have no complaints. I am always happy to have a good pancake any time of the day!

This café pique my interest when I was searching for #ricottahotcakes (to be precise, #リコッタパンケーキ) on Instagram. While most of them were photos of bills’ famous ricotta hotcakes, fresh banana and honeycomb butter, videos of jiggly towers of ricotta cheese hotcakes from this store caught my attention. 

The comments on the posts seemed to be mostly very positive, so I was very keen to get my hands on one of these beauties. As you may already know, I am a huge Huge HUGE fan of Bill Granger’s ricotta hotcakes, so I was curious to see how these pancakes would stack (HAHA) up against hotcakes from the world’s best breakfast place

Last orders are at 6.30pm, which is a time I am still stuck in office, so I haven’t been able to make my way to this café despite wanting to try this for a long time.

I considered visiting it on the weekends, but the thought of having to queue for hours put me off.

However, I finally got the chance to visit Micasadeco&Café at Jingumae, Tokyo.
I attended a work seminar, and it ended at 5pm, meaning I could rush over and be in time for their last orders at 6.30pm  

The cafe is located on the 2nd floor, but you will need to climb up the steps outside of the building to enter the cafe.




The café décor was Japanese modern simplicity – their wall frames, lamp covers and ceilings are made with natural wood, giving in a very serene and peaceful feel.
Interestingly though, the BGM was pop, so the place felt like a good place to chill with friends without feeling too zen-like.  

The cafe space is not too big, I didn't count but maybe there were about 10 tables in total.






I was quickly seated into the café without much wait (probably because I made a reservation), and they brought the menu and a glass of water








They had many different selections of pancakes, such as mochi mochi (chewy chewy) pancakes, Japanese inspired pancakes as well as their highly rated fuwa fuwa (literally fluffy) ricotta cheese pancakes.
Besides pancakes, Micasadeco&Café also served other sustainable food options like salads, sandwiches, wraps, eggs benedicts and organic brown rice dishes.

I was torn between all the choices they were offering, but I had already set my mind prior to entering the café on their infamous fuwa fuwa pancakes with ricotta cheese, so I quickly made my order before I could be swayed to change my mind.

After about a 15 minutes wait, the gorgeous fluffy work of art arrived at my table.
 
fluffy pancakes with ricotta cheese 1200yen
another shot with the maple syrup (cute little beaker!)
closeup


Sweet mother of cheese look at that jiggy-jam!

After taking the obligatory wobbly hotcakes video, I proceeded to very slowly and carefully cut a slice out of the hotcakes.


The hotcakes were extra soft and my knife sliced through it with ease.


The magic to the cloud-like fluffiness of their pancakes come from the addition of meringue into their batter, which gives the pancakes a super light and melt in your mouth texture. 

It's like Jiggypuff  plus ricotta cheese, meringue and happy thoughts = this fluffy guy

Taste wise, I would have to say that I still prefer bills compared to one here.
While it was really soft, moist and fluffy, the addition of extra meringue made the pancake taste too light and eggy. I could hardly taste any flour or ricotta cheese in this pancake. 

I had to drown the pancakes with maple syrup (which was very good, btw!) and slather a lot of cream (sweet and salty, very yum!) on the pancakes to make it taste like an actual dessert.
I suppose that's what I am meant to do, but it is a shame that I couldn't taste the actual pancake itself.

I also ordered a hazelnut latte to have with my pancakes.

hazelnut latte 600yen

The latte was good - not sweet at all, but it had the lovely aroma of hazelnut.
The beans at Micasadeco&Cafe Tokyo are actually provided by Nozy Coffee, a popular artisan coffee house in Tokyo. I am pleasantly surprised that they put in effort to serve good coffee to their customers.

Most dessert cafes tend to put all their focus into their desserts, so coffee tends to be only so-so, but I quite enjoyed my coffee here.

Service-wise, I have absolutely no complaints.
Staff were very attentive and friendly - they will make small talk with you.

They asked me whether it was my first time here, and when I was about to leave, they told me that I must definitely come back to try their other food menus. While it's something that's expected of all eateries, not many say it with the same genuine feeling as I got from all the staffs here.

Overall, a very pleasant and happy experience for me. Not sure if I would come back for the fluffy ricotta pancakes, but I am definitely keen to try their other food menus, served by a happy lot of people. 

Note that they do not accept credit cards, so have cash on hand if you plan to visit.
I didn't bring any cash, so I had to make a quick run to an ATM not-so-nearby. Thankfully, the staff at the cafe were very patient and waited for me to return before they closed their cafe for the day.

Address: 6-16-5 HOLONⅢ2F, Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0001
〒150-0001 東京都渋谷区神宮前6-16-5 HOLONⅢ2F
Phone: 03-6892-7006
Hours: Mon - Sun 11am − 7pm (last order 6:30pm)
Website: http://micasadecoandcafe.com/

Comments

Popular Posts