Verve Coffee Roasters (ヴァーヴ コーヒー ロースターズ)

Summary: Great coffee, but not outstanding.

Originally from Santa Cruz, Verve Coffee Roasters opened its first overseas outlet in Tokyo during Spring of last year.
The café is housed within the newly revamped Shinjuku Bus Station’s NEWoMAN shopping strip.  



Because of its proximity to my workplace, I often drop by Shinjuku to do some shopping or to hang out with friends.
Within Shinjuku Bus Station’s NEWoMAN retail area, I am a frequent visitor to Tavern on S, an American bar/restaurant (will blog about it some day).

I have been tempted to drop by Verve whenever I am around the area, but I always had to rush off to meet my friends, so I never got the chance.
For a number of times, I have lingered in front of the café, fighting an internal battle on whether coffee was worth being late for my appointments with my mates.
(I chose friends, btw)

During those times, the café staff would look at me, greet me with an energetic ‘konnichiwa!’, give me a smile and a wave to tempt me in.
I would then have to run away from the café in shame, while promising them (in my own head) that I would definitely visit the café next time.


So this time, having a little free time, I decided to get a cuppa from their café.

This time though, no one greeted me when I entered the cafe.

Have you ever had the experience whereby your date was so enthusiastic about meeting you and making them like you, and the moment you open your heart to them, they go cold on you?

Yeah – that’s how I felt.

Nonetheless, I was already there, so I decided to get myself a cappuccino.

Service was rather slow, despite it being off-peak hours.

Besides myself, there were 3 other people in the café.
There were two staffs in the café, so I thought it was strange that I had to wait 10 minutes to get my coffee since they didn’t seem understaffed.

But no worries – that means I would have plenty of time to take all sorts of photos of their interior.











After circling around the café and running out of things to take photos of, my order was ready.

I thought their cappuccino was slightly acidic, and depending on your personal preferences, it can either be a) a delicious fruity, tangy undertone in your cuppa joe or b) a dry, harsh and unpleasant sensation.


It wasn’t a yucky feeling for me, but I do prefer my lattes/cappuccinos to be smooth and mild.

I think Verve Coffee Roasters does pretty good coffees.
However, when you have Blue Bottle Coffee housed in the same premises, competing against your business with their much more spacious café space and equally (if not better – but that’s my personal preference) delicious coffees, it is difficult to stand out.


Next time I might give their Nitro Brew a go instead of their standard espressos.

Address: 5-24-55 Sendagaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0051, NEWoMan SHINJUKU 2F 
〒151-0051 東京都渋谷区千駄ヶ谷5-24-55 NEWoMan SHINJUKU 2F
Phone: 03-6273-1325
Hours: Mon – Sun 8am – 10pm

Comments

Popular Posts