Omotesando: bills Omotesando (ビルズ 表参道)

Summary: The best hotcakes and scramble eggs you can get in Japan - possibly even in the world. 

I am a big fan of bills – whenever I am in need of a ‘pick-me-up`, I head to bills where I know I will be greeted with warm, friendly service, and fresh, lovingly prepared, wholesome food.
 
bills omotesando
Bill Granger, the man behind bills, is well-known for serving the best scrambled eggs in the world, and is one of the pioneer restaurateurs to introduce sunny Australian style breakfast/brunch to Japan.

bills is also well-known for their long queues, but when I went to their Omotesando branch on a Saturday morning at around 8.45am, the queue was minimal and I was able to get in without much wait.  

still quite crowded in the restaurant

The Boyfriend and I were seated at the outdoor terrace, and though it was a little chilly, the staff were very kind to provide us with blankets. I also thought it was quite nice that we could overlook the garden while snuggling under the blankets enjoying our meal.  

outdoor veranda terrace
They informed us that it might take a little while for our food to come, so we decided to have our drinks first while waiting.

We both ordered flat white as our pre-meal drinks.

flat white 600yen
The flat white was good, though not exceptional.
While it is definitely better than what I can get at Starbucks, I have to say that there are a lot of other cafes with more impressive coffee.

Nonetheless, the fact that bills is one of the few places I can go to when I have a flat white craving is something that should be taken into consideration.

After about 30 minutes, our food arrived at our table.

I got their toasted rye, avocado, lime and coriander toast (plus a poached egg), while the Boyfriend got their organic scrambled eggs and toast after much egging from me (HAHA).

toasted rye, avocado, lime and coriander toast 1000yen
(+ poached egg 200yen)
organic scrambled eggs and toast 1300yen
The Boyfriend was quite impressed by their scrambled eggs. Light, creamy, velvety layers of eggy goodness - it's no wonder Bill Granger is called the Egg Master of Sydney. 

The avocado on my toast was perfectly ripe - so creamy and buttery.
I seriously think the person who thought of the hashtag foodgasm must have been having the perfect avocado toast when he/she was struck with inspiration.
It is one of the most of the most simplest foods I've had that made a huge impact on me.

I think I might just break up with the Boyfriend and start a relationship with avocado toast instead (just kidding, I love you honey).

By the way, I cannot even begin to stress how important it is that we can find the perfect avocado in Japan. How many times have I been excited that a menu has avocados, only to take a bite and realise that I have gotten myself a one way ticket towards avocado disappointment.

At the peak of my avocado toast obsession, so I did some research (aka googling) on its origins. According to the Washington Post, Bill Granger may have been the first person to put avocado toast on a menu in his Sydney cafe.
(Someone give that man a breakfast medal already! Maybe even a Nobel Peace Award...!)

After we both wiped our plates clean, our bellies were quite satisfied.
However, how could I possibly leave bills without having their famous Ricotta Hotcakes?

ricotta hotcakes with fresh banana and honeycomb butter 1400yen
(note: I forgot to take a photo before taking a bite into their hotcakes, so here's a photo of their hotcakes from a different visit (bills Odaiba).
I think I will never get tired of their ricotta cheese hotcakes...
Lusciously light, moist, and oh-so-fluffy. Every bite beckons me one step closer to melt-in-your-mouth Hotcakes Heaven.
It is like pancakes and cotton candy coming together to create the perfect dessert baby.

The hotcakes itself isn't very sweet, so I strongly recommend drizzling some maple syrup over your hotcakes to your own liking.

Overall service was a tad bit slow on that day, but staff were friendly about it so it wasn't an issue for me.

I would wholeheartedly recommend bills to anyone looking for a wholesome breakfast in Tokyo.
bills' simple, nourishing dishes is a welcoming change for the over processed food served at many chain cafes in Japan.

It seems that they also have foreign staffs at their restaurants, so I would recommend it as one of the tourist-friendly cafes in Japan. 

*Updated as of 11th November 2016
Besides Omotensando, bills currently has branches in Shichirigahama, Yokohama, Odaiba, Futakotamagwa, Ginza and Fukuoka.

Address: 150-0001 Tokyu Plaza, Omotesando Harajuku 7F 4-30-3 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
〒150-0001 東京都渋谷区 神宮前4-30-3 東急プラザ表参道原宿7F
Phone: 03-5772-1133
Hours: Mon - Sun 8.30am – 11pm
Website: http://billsjapan.com/en/omotesando

Comments

Popular Posts